If your personal indentifying information is being used by someone else for fraudulent or criminal purposes, you can follow the steps below:
- If you find any fraudulent accounts or unauthorized access on your record, contact the security departments of the creditors or financial institutions that granted the credit and close these accounts.
- If you discover misuse of your Social Security number, contact the Social Security Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
- If your personal information is being used for fraudulent or criminal purposes, file a report with the police. Keep a copy of the police report in case you need proof of the crime to show the bank, credit card company, or others.
- If you are a victim of identity theft, you can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by Internet: www.consumer.gov/idtheft/ (click File a Complaint from the menu at the left); Telephone: 1-877-438-4338; or TDD: 202-326-2502.
- Keep a record of all communications with credit bureaus, creditors, financial institutions, and police, including dates.
For More Information on Identity theft.
Please Visit FTC’s Identity Theft Information Center